Axowind Power Calculator Details
Calculated Output for the Axowind 15 kW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
All wind turbines need a windy site. A wind turbine is best suited to sites which have an average wind speed higher than 5 metres per second. If your site cannot achieve this average then a wind turbine may not be the best option. Very small changes in average wind speed can have a large effect on power output. If the site is marginal then installaing an anemometer to measure wind speed may show the difference between 4.5 or 5.5 metres per second. This slight difference represents a 50% increase in annual output. Also It is a false economy to install a wind turbine on a short tower. The recommended tower height for a Axowind turbine is 17m tall.
Each location has its own special conditions. This calculator assume standard values for wind shear, turbulence and Weibull distribution. The best way to make sure that the energy predictions are accurate is to do wind measurement at the proposed location for a period of 3 - 12 months and compare this with statistical data for the area. This is combined with the power curve of the wind turbine based on ACTUAL performance testing to give an accurate prediction of annual power output. Please contact us if you need more information.
- Axowind owned design.
- Unique design for low noise and high efficiency.
- 15 kW maximum wind turbine power at 11 m/s wind speed.
- Power remains a constant 15 kW at wind speeds above 11m/s.
- Low cut in wind speed at 4m/s generating useful power.
- Direct drive generator for reliability and low maintenance.
- Durable carbon fibre construction.
- Passive aerodynamic speed control
- Constant RPM in high wind conditions.
- Fail-safe generator braking, disk brake and vibration monitoring.
- Hydraulic tower for easy inspection and maintenance.